Monday 10 September 2012

Day 8 Even Leslie can't spoil the fun! September 10, 2012

Hurricane, Smurricane!  That’s what we say.  When the weather outside is frightful, “Baton Down the Hatches” as they say here and head to some wineries!  Why argue with the locals?


Early this morning we rose from our slumber at Wide Open Wilderness Family Campground to pelting rain and wind.  As I woke, excited to seek out the Tidal Bore, Ken’s true to nature “Worry-Meter” kicked into action.  He was probably right, with the wind and rain, what would we likely see?  It was amazing!  Getting there was even MORE interesting!  As mentioned, the park owners Stanley and Effie left us their loaner golf cart to get us there, but even my worry meter kicked in – what if we stalled it, flooded it or worse off, got it to the lookout, but couldn’t get it back!  Going by foot would be more  reliable we thought, so off we went!  Thank goodness for that decision!  Seen here, the road we trekked down was not only flooded, but to us seemed as though it was beginning to wash out!  Above my ankles and stronger than most currents I have ever experienced, my only hope was to NOT loose my new $50.00 Croc’s!  Not only new, but these shoes have MORE than saved my feet over the past few days!  I’d miss them!

Rivers found where they
don't belong!
 As a result of the torrential rains coming from every imaginable direction, once at the lookout, it was spectacular.  We are pretty sure we didn’t witness the Tidal Bore – we were probably too late by the time we got there and there was so much wind and rain, I doubt what we saw was really what we were suppose to see!  Even still, we were glad we made the trek.  It just means we have to search this phenomenon out down the road, or return back for another “kick at the cat” – or Bore in this case!

Should we be here if flooding
may be an issue??
Even though the rain was relentless, we were on the road by 9 am.  Travel to our next destination (to perhaps wait out the distant effects of Hurricane Leslie), would be Grand Pre, on the North Shore (Minas Basin) area of Nova Scotia, where we hope to find a campsite at Land of Evangeline Family Campground.  Why?  Well, because it is surrounded by local wineries and the Annapolis Valley, that’s why! 
 
The drive was slow and steady.  The roads were good, but flooding was imminent everywhere.  We’ve learned the landscape throughout much of our journey thus far offers steep descents with almost immediate ascents.  Typically (and often to Ken chagrin) I try to maximize the “downs” to compensate for the “ups” when towing the trailer.  But on this one occasion, half way down the hill, Ken as passenger realized at the bottom of the hill, there was no road – it was covered by water!  We quickly slowed to safely cross over the creek.  A bit scary, but that’s why we have navigating passengers right?   Unlike the car in the picture to the left, who wasn’t so lucky. 

Thankfully no one appears
injured.


We stopped to see if assistance was required, along with an older gentleman who we were following at the time, as we were concerned there was someone hurt inside.  We saw no one, the elderly gentleman thanked us for stopping, wished us a safe journey and we parted ways.

Our pre-determined destination took us about 1 hour and 45 minutes – much better than the day before!  Once settled into our very clean and well hydrated campsite – which was not the campgrounds fault, after all where do you put more than 60 mm of rain in a couple of hours?  We discovered a Free-Trade Coffee House and Museum called “Just Us!” on our way in, and visited before we set out to the four wineries.  This was a great time to be a tourist, as I think Ken has finally relaxed after yesterday’s adventures!  

We have to mention our time at the second winery “Gaspereau Vineyards”, where we were served by Ashley.  She was AWESOME!  She had an amazing bubbly personality, totally loved Myles and apparently, “pret’near” every wine was “special” here, and her favourite!  She made our visit absolutely fun and an experience we will not soon forget!  In fact, we bought the bubbly here to help us celebrate our 25th Anniversary in a few weeks…IF it lasts that long! I’m trying to count in my head the number of bottles we ended up purchasing today, I’m pretty sure it’s 8 or 9 – but who’s counting!!  There’s even talk about going back to one or two tomorrow!  We’ll see! 

Discovering the grape of
a good wine!
We ended our day at the last winery, “Domaine De Grand Pre” just down the road from the park.  Here where we participated, quite by fluke may I add, in a wine tour.  Kevin, I think we found heaven!  Very informative and it turns out, some of Ken’s favorite – BUT, have no fear Ashley, it was probably because Ken could no longer taste the difference, because in my humble opinion, they were all pretty darn good!

When we returned to our campground, which I might add we can see the Minas Basin from our Dining room window, we left everything in the truck, grabbed the lawn chairs and headed for the shore.   If Leslie missed Nova Scotia like they say it is, I would hate to be in Newfoundland right now!  The wind was extremely cold…wait for it…I admittedly had my winter coat on, AND if I was any braver, I would have had gloves on too!  I told Ken I thought I was cold because I am still absolutely exhausted, which in truth may be true, but how can a person slow down when there’s so much to do and see!!  Catching up on my sleep is what work is for…isn’t it!??  Just kidding!
Finally an East Coast
Sunset

So I sat here (picture to the right) freezing my
b-geezes off, and witnessed simultaneously, high tide at Grand Pre (ascent over the ‘e’, but I can’t figure out how to do this!), sandpipers everywhere sucking shrimp out of the sand flats AND our first sunset down east.  Again, the only thing missing was my Rye and Pepsi, and maybe Mother Nature could take the wind down a few notches!!

That's "pert'near" it for us today...talk to ya tomorrow...
Ken and Tricia

No comments: