Friday 7 September 2012

If a picture is worth a thousand words...what's it worth to experience it for real? September 7, 2012

Seriously, beauty doesn't even begin to express how amazing our day was today!

The Bay of Fundy, and Fundy National Park was on my "bucket list", and I can say, "Check, Check and Double Check" it from the list of things gone well...unlike the horseback riding that also existed on this said list!

This morning we headed out to Cape Enrage and Hopewell Rocks.  When we woke early, Ken was reserved about what we had planned the day before as the weather was not looking promising for us.  True a clear day would be better than a drizzling day, and drizzle was exactly what we faced.  After some coaxing, we headed out not regretting the decision for one moment!

The first stop was Cape Enrage, a remote tourist attraction that promised amazing views of the tidal flows.  It was soon after our departure we affirmed our decision to make day trips from Fundy National Park without a trailer in tow...it wasn't Hwy #105, but it did offer STEEP hills, up & down and hairpin turns.  Good choice in grabbing the keys and calling the driver spot... I fear Ken may have still been on these roads navigating them.  As mentioned before, what alarms both of us is the speed limit on these roads...most suggest a maximum of 80-90 km/hr, but it seems this is just a recommendation to the locals!  I did my best in maintaining the maximum I can assure you, but you just never really knew when the next steep decent or 90+ degree turn was going to occur.  The scenery along the way was breathtaking. Our goal was to reach low tides peek by 11:15 am at Cape Enrage and this we did with plenty of time to spare.


Cape Enrage from the floor bed of
Chignecto Bay

Upon entry of Cape Enrage, a fee of $9.00 was administered, but Dan would be pleased to know, we saved 0.60 cents by presenting our pre-trip purchase of CAA.  I'd say CAA was worth it, and Ken hopes it's the only reason to use it for the duration of the trip!  As we oriented ourselves with our surroundings, we were approached by Vernon, a local and interpreter who was at the ready and full of information for us "green horn" tidal watchers.  You gotta love the local folks who put up with us City Folk Ontarians!  I'm sure most of the questions we were asking were the equivalent to "so your house isn't an igloo" to Non-Canadians!  Like a true gentleman, Vernon answered each and every question with enthusiasm.  He knew his stuff and was at the ready to share it!  Because the facility is built on the side of a rock, nestled in among the Chignecto Bay which merges into other bodies of bays (hence the name "Fundy", meaning to join) where you stand, you think, "okay, this is it", but this world goes on and on!  We took pictures up the coastal line towards what eventually would lead you to the Bay of Fundy, and down the coastal line to...well other bays...and so on!  The "unofficially out of commission" operational lighthouse was beautiful, and all the coastlines impressive...then we found the stairs!  To stand on the rock bed floor of something you know in less that 6 hours will be totally filled above your head, creeped out Ken and wowed me!  Awestruck, we both just wanted more!


Hopewell Rocks @ 1:30 p.m. - Low Tide

Hopewell Rocks @ 5:10 p.m. - High Tide
NOT Ken & I kayaking...  ;-(

So on we went to Hopewell Rocks.  The tidal surge is more prominent here than at Cape Enrage.  Probably because you have the landmarks of out jetted rocks from the bay's floor...it is definitely more measurable, but the surge, because it's being pushed through a more narrow bay, is bigger.  At Cape Enrage, Vernon said the markable surge for the day would be about 4 feet.  At Hopewell Rocks, the serge at 5:26 pm was 34 feet today!  When we arrived the tide was out, and for almost 3 hours we walked as far as we could go along the cliff and basin floor until we were turned back by park officials.  For all of you who know Ken, get ready for this, but as I was being a tourist and snapping photo after photo, I looked around only to find Ken mid-calf deep wading in the red water!!  Photos prove this to be true!!  We walked back to the steep staircase to higher ground, or in Ken language, "safer ground" and waited out the complete tide surge to it's peek.  I think I found my next new job...I think I would like to be the photographer who hangs around these tourist Tide pools to take family and couple photos!  I don't know why they haven't thought of this yet, but there is a killing to be made in this entrepreneurship!

So I am strolling along Hopewell Rock, and without warning, my phone rings...my phone...in the middle of no where!!  It's Davis Edwards, a local Brad and Tracy Taylor (of Taylor Coach) put us in touch with to connect with while we vacation.  I am really looking forward to meeting Davis, he sounds like an awesome guy on the phone, and full of knowledge to be shared.  I hang up from him, and the boulder I was supporting myself just 2 minutes prior was gone...totally emerged!  This then brought a thought to mind; do I tell Ken the water is rising at noticeable speed, or do I save him the worry...I didn't say a word and chose to enjoy the peace and serenity of a no worry walk, after all that's what the park officials were there for right?  No sooner do I hang up from Davis, Dan (my friend & supervisor at work) starts texting me!  Surrounded by this beauty, I am awed by the power of technology!  I LOVE IT!


Sorry, I forgot to take a picture
BEFORE I devoured it!
Stuffed Lobster Stuffed Chicken...
worth the drive to Alma!

So in short, we saw the tide from it's absolutely lowest point to it's absolute highest peek.  Let me tell you folks, the great lakes have it's awe and amazement, but they are nothing to what we are seeing here!  We stayed to the peek, keeping company with Fran, the amazing park staff at Fundy.  She and Paul (Fran's Supervisor?) were impressed with Ken's Blundstone Boots and they became best of friends from there!  Fran recommended a place to eat supper just down the road on our way back to the park in Alma - "Tides".  Fran, if you are actually reading this - THANK YOU!!!  I had the BEST Lobster Stuffed Chicken I have ever had!!  Okay, I have never had anything like this before, but it was amazing!!  While feasting here, the bay was receding again and by the time we headed back to the park the bay had dropped at least 4 feet.

Light drizzle has returned, I am back in the Kitchen shelter, this time with a Rye and Pepsi, and catching you up on our day!  Life can't get any better!  Tomorrow will be a park day for us, exploring different trails and seeing some lookouts and waterfalls.  We look forward to a bit of an 'easy' day.

The saying we have been using at the end of each blog has been one we searched prior to leaving Guelph.  The locals are making our trip...they are awesome through and through!!  My goal in talking to the locals is to find out what their favourite saying or slogan is to them which reflects their region, culture and everyday life.  Today Vernon from Cape Enrage shared us his...seems fitting for today...so....

That's "pert'near" it for us today...talk to ya tomorrow...
Ken and Tricia

No comments: